Changes to what constitutes a ‘character concern’ - and the consequences for people who have had their visas cancelled under character grounds – quietly passed in February when the Australian parliament resumed for two weeks with attention focussed on energy policy and party vote-preference deals in the Western Australia.
As part of the Kaldor Centre’s series of Legislative Briefs, Khanh Hoang explains The Migration Amendment (Character Cancellation Consequential Provisions) Act 2017 (Cth). He outlines key issues including: procedural fairness concerns; the potential for double punishment; lack of disclosure of information to the visa holder; and ability to seek judicial review.
September summits on refugees: Background, commentary and resources
This page contains analysis and resources on two upcoming international summits on refugees: the United Nations Summit for Refugees and Migrants on 19 September, and the Leaders’ Summit on Refugees hosted by US President Barack Obama on 20 September.
This page will be regularly updated in the lead up and aftermath of the summits.
The Kaldor Centre is pleased to bring analysis of the UN Summit for Refugees and Migrants and the Leaders’ Summit on Refugees from key forced migration scholars over the coming weeks.
The New York Declaration: Once in a lifetime opportunity to enhance refugee protection
What if other countries copied Australia's border security example?
Glimmers of Hope
Australia’s commitments at refugee summit fall short
What Australia Needs to Bring to the UN Refugees
Filling up or emptying the glass? Musings on the 19 September refugee summit
Jeff Crisp, Associate Fellow at Chatham House & Research Associate at Refugee Studies Centre, University of Oxford
28 June 2016, the Kaldor Centre hosted a conversation with Dr Jeff Crisp and Professor Jane McAdam on the implications of this year’s international summits to address global displacement
- F. Halisso, ‘Another UN summit and more nice words – but no concrete action’, Refugees Deeply, 23 September 2016
- M. Grattan, ‘Resettlement is the test for Malcolm Turnbull on refugees’, The Conversation, 21 September 2016
- W. Williams, ‘Govt refugee commitments welcome but not groundbreaking say NFPs’, Pro Bono Australia, 21 September 2016
- K. Siegfried, ‘Plenty of hype, no new ideas at UN migration summit’, IRIN, 21 September 2016
- UNHCR, ‘UNHCR welcomes new support for refugees at Leaders’ Summit’, 20 September 2016
- UNHCR, ‘UNHCR welcomes “unprecedented force and resonance” of New York Declaration’, 19 September 2016
- C. Tazreiter, 'UN Refugees Summit: Operation Sovereign Borders under global scrutiny', Low Interpreter, 19 September 2016
- S. Sengupta, 'Obama to Push Refugee Aid at U.N., but Critics Say Effort Is Overdue', New York Times, 18 September 2016
- Human Rights Watch, 'Provide Genuine Refuge to World's Displaced', 13 September 2016
- P. Oberoi, 'Protecting the human rights of migrants in a time of fear', Open Democracy, 13 September 2016
- A. Betts, 'UN Refugee Summit: Abstract discussions in the face of a deadly crisis', Refugees Deeply, 12 September 2016
- K. Siegfried, 'The New York refugee summits: What to expect', IRIN, 12 September 2016
- 'UN Summit on Addressing Large Movements of Refugees and Migrants', UNHCR Press Briefing, 6 September 2016
- B. Frelick, ‘”Defining the problem” will impact summit success in New York: HRW’, Refugees Deeply, 19 August 2016
- ‘UN senior adviser discussed blueprint to strengthen global responses for refugees and migrants’, Interview with Karen AbuZayd, Special Adviser on the Summit on Addressing Large Movements of Refugees and Migrants, 9 August 2016
- Amnesty International, ‘UN Refugee Summit talks end in abject failure’, 4 August 2016
- P. Kingsley, ‘UN members reject concrete refugee settlement target’, The Guardian, 3 August 2016
- N. Hasham, ‘Pressure mounts on Malcolm Turnbull to make new refugee pledge at Barack Obama summit’, Sydney Morning Herald, 31 August 2016
- C. Mallinson, ‘Dear Malcolm, now it’s time to unite the parliament on human rights’, SBS, 12 July 2016
- UN Summit for Refugees and Migrants Website
- UN Summit for Refugees and Migrants Draft Outcomes Document
- Video of the UN Summit proceedings
- Leaders’ Summit on Refugees Website
- Joint Statement of co-hosts of the Leaders’ Summit on Refugees, 20 September 2016
- Key statements at the UN Summit for Refugees and Migrants
- The New York Declaration